(1) The public accounts of Ghana and of all public offices, including the courts, the central and local government administrations, of the Universities and public institutions of like nature, of any public corporation or other body or organisation established by an Act of Parliament shall be audited and reported on by the Auditor-General.
(2) For the purposes of subsection (1), the Auditor-General or any person authorised or appointed for the purpose by the Auditor-General shall have access to all books, records, returns and other documents including documents in computerized and electronic form relating to or relevant to those accounts.
(3) The public accounts of Ghana and of all persons and institutions referred to in subsection (1) including computerized financial and accounting systems and electronic transactions shall be kept in such form as the Auditor-General shall approve and shall be subject to review by the Auditor-General.
(4) An internal auditor of an organisation or body to which subsection (1) applies shall submit a copy of each report issued as a result of internal audit work carried out to the Auditor-General.
(5) All financial and accounting systems in respect of the accounts provided under subsection (1) shall be subject to prior approval of the Auditor-General and any change in any such system shall be notified to the Auditor-General and shall be subject to prior approval before implementation.
(6) Any head of a public institution or other body subject to auditing by the Auditor-General who fails to comply with subsection (5) is liable to be surcharged with the cost of any loss occasioned by defective or deficient internal controls of auditing.